Saturday, December 10, 2011

Week 3 of Top 6 plus corn and oats elimination

We are wrapping up the 3rd week of eliminating wheat, eggs, soy, dairy, fish, nuts, corn and oats and Lucas is doing great attitude-wise. We have had a few flares but those were mostly due to accidental ingestion of eliminated foods. We have learned pretty quickly (because this was totally my fault) that dairy IS DEFINITELY a trigger. On Thanksgiving Day (the same week we began the more extensive eliminations), Lucas asked me how mashed potatoes were made. Simple question however, it dawned on me in that moment that 1) most mashed potatoes are made with milk and butter and 2) he was already on his 2nd or 3 helping. OOPS!!! And because he can have a delayed reaction, he threw up on that Friday. OOPS!!!


Since then, we have been better about reading labels and making sure what he eats is safe. When going out to restaurants, I have been asking for their allergen information to help make the best possible choice in foods for him. So far, BW3's is safe for him. Applebee's not so much. That reaction was pretty immediate as in in the parking lot to leave. 


I was so hesitant to put him on more restrictions because he is a picky eater and because he LOVED milk. Once we began, his attitude has been great. He's asked maybe one or two times for something not safe but never has he gotten angry over not having something. He now calls 2% milk "Regular Milk". He has even been more willing to try new things. He has recently added turkey, rice and sunbutter to his diet. He has tried rice milk and coconut milk. He's not huge fans of those yet but I think those are an acquired taste. He tried sweet peas. He took about 2 bites and said, "Maybe when I'm 5 I will like those." I am glad he's starting to open up and try a few new things. I have also been open-minded and have tried a few of the new things. I'm a very picky eater so this step for me has been huge. But I also don't want to not try something because I don't like it. I'm trying to take his lead on the new foods.


While we were in Cincy for our follow-up, we were able to get some samples of the Neocate and Elecare formulas. He has tried and liked so far the Neocate Splash formulas. They look like juice boxes. He hasn't really tried any of the other formulas but we have them in case he wants to try them. Dr F also wants us to keep monthly weight checks to make sure he's not losing weight with the new restrictions. So far, his weight hasn't changed. 


We will re-scope again in February. We haven't received our date yet. Hopefully we will know something in the next few weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment