Friday, June 1, 2012

The suspense is over...Scope #5 Results

After waiting an extra three agonizing days to hear from Dr. Franciosi's nurse, Jo we finally have to results and treatment plan.


(A) Duodenum 3rd


(B) Body/antrum


(C) Distal esophagus (bottom of the esophagus)


(D) Proximal esophagus (top of the esophagus)


Sample A came back normal as it has in the past. Sample B did show a peak count of 22 eosinophils per high powered field.


Sample C showed a peak count of 59 eosinophils per high powered field. And Sample D showed a peak count of 58 eosinophils per high powered field.


To compare from his previous scope in February, Sample A remained unchanged. Sample B has some eosinophils but it's not uncommon to have some lingering around in your stomach. Sample C increased slightly from 40 to 59. The most drastic change came in Sample D were the count went from greater than 100 eosinophils per high powered field to 58.


When I received the pathology report I cried. Anyone who has asked me what my expectations were for this scope, I replied, "I want his upper esophagus to be 99." I got questioned why I didn't want it lower. I'm the type of person who has to create small goals to help navigate the bigger picture. After the November scope, my point of view changed. He scope over 100 in November. At that point, that was highest his count had been. Going into the February scope, my goal was 99. I wanted to know that his treatment plan was headed in the right direction. When I got the results from that one, I was devastated. Crushed. I cried sad tears. So again, I picked myself up again and set my goal once again to 99. When I saw that 58 and realized that in 2 years time (since diagnosis) that Lucas finally posted his lowest count ever for his upper esophagus, I cried happy tears. I know he still has a long way to go but to FINALLY know we are heading in the right direction felt amazing and overwhelming.


When I met with Dr. Franciosi and his nurse immediately after the scope, we talked about what will happen going forward with Dr. Franciosi leaving in the next few weeks. They said that many of the patients who are challenging, complex, not stable and needing a GI's care will be switched to Dr. Putman (he's the other EoS GI) and those who are not as complex and who are stable will be transferred to a Physicians Assistant (PA) for the time being. They are actively looking for a replacement for Dr. Franciosi but it could be December/January before they have someone in place and ready. Luckily, nurse Jo was staying. They said depending on the outcome of this scope would depend on which route they would transfer Lucas' care. 


With Lucas still having active EoE and while he posted his best count yet, he still has a long way to go. Dr. Franciosi decided it was best to transfer Lucas' care to Dr. Putnam. We will not make any diet changes nor increase/decrease his Nexium dosage. He did decide to increase the Pulmicort from .25mg 2x/day to .50mg 2x/day. The Pulmicort is working and definitely has been helping. We will meet with Dr. Putnam sometime in last August/early September and Lucas will be re-scoped. We will move forward with Dr. Putnam at that time. 


We will miss Dr. Franciosi. In the short time that Lucas was in his care, he has helped make a tremendous impact on our lives. We are excited for he new opportunity because he will definitely make a great impact on others. 



On a funny note, Lucas was watching a Trix commercial this morning and said, "Momma, we need to talk to Dr. Franciosi and tell him he should let me have corn again." I asked why and he replied, "Because I wanna have that cereal." Silly boy. Thank you for taking the time out of your day to read our update. It truly means a lot to us that so many people care about us and how Lucas is doing. 




2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to read this!
    It's sad though when a Doctor that has made such an impact on our lives, leaves. We know this all too well.
    I hope this next Dr is as wonderful as Dr Franciosi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa, I was so happy to stumble upon your blog. I don't know anyone else who's child has this disease. My son Jonathan who is now 5, was hospitalized on vacation at 20 months old from vomiting blood and having bloody stools for over 24 hours. The original diagnosis was a bleeding ulcer in the duodenum with extreme inflammation in the stomach and esophagus. When we returned home and had our follow up scope to check on the ulcer it was confirmed that he had both reflux and EE. He has under gone 7 endoscopy and 2 colonoscopy. He also suffers from repeat dermatitis "hive" like that can come out of no where and so all over is body. We had an amazing Dr. who has just relocated to Cinn. Children's Hospital to head up the E.E. department there. His name is Dr. Mukkada. We are in RI, and have not yet met our new Dr. We see him in 2 weeks. Jonathan finished an extended round of steroids back in November and is taking zyrtec daily. He is off of prevacid for now and has started on a dairy free diet at this point and we are hoping that this will give him some relief. I know this is all kind of random, but I guess I was just wanting to connect with another mother that is dealing with this disease. If you have a chance to meet with Dr. Mukkada, he is amazing! We will miss him so much. It is amazing how much a good Dr. that you trust can help you through the scary and difficult times. I will keep Lucas in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete